The pain of self-hosting

Last night, I wrote and scheduled a couple of posts for this blog. After I was done, I noticed that WordPress had a new update, so I figured that I might as well just do it since it’s an automatic install. It usually takes about two minutes total for updates. Instead, it took me about two hours. My theme wasn’t compatible with the new version of WordPress, which I eventually figured out after reading the error log. The weird part is that I never got a notification of a theme update, so it took me forever to find out that the theme author had already fixed the problem. So, instead of going to bed at around midnight last night, I was in bed at 2:45, making me a very tired Timothy.